Tuesday, October 23, 2007

To Fly Or Not To Fly

That is the question...

Thanksgiving is just a month away and I'm headed to the Lone Star State for some FIGHTIN TEXAS AGGIE FOOTBALL! WHOOP! The Ags host the horns the day after Thanksgiving and of course, I'm there!

But there is a big looming question and decision we must make, like TODAY. To fly or not to fly! I am very blessed to have a mother who offers to pay for these things, otherwise who are we kidding, flying would NOT be an option seeing as how it's going to be about $300/person. So while I want to save her as much money as I can (so she can spend it on me at Christmas instead...heeheeeheee), finances aren't the primary issue here. The primary issues...my car, my dog, and my kids!

My car is 5 years old, has over 140,000 miles on it and we seem to encounter a new repair about every month. So making a trek halfway across the country doesn't really seem like the most logical choice. However, my mom even offered to rent us a car if we really wanted to drive. Here are the pros and cons of driving vs flying.

Pros of driving:
1. We could stop in Mobile, AL to see Cary's family on the way there and back.
2. My dog can come with us which means we won't have to pay, I mean mom won't have to pay for her to be kenneled. She's about to be 10 and I don't think she would do well in a kennel at her age. Plus she's SPOILED! And a member of the family!
3. MUCH cheaper than flying. I've calculated it would save my mom about $500.
4. Airports/children/holiday=INSANITY!!!!
5. Ashton and airplanes don't really mix all that well. She's TWO! Need I say more? (Then again, Ashton in a carseat on a 1000 mile journey probably is not much better!)

Cons of driving:
1. car/long drive/children=INSANITY!!!!
2. DVD player in car is broken=INSANITY!!!!
3. Did I mention it's over 1000 miles??? With kids???
4. My car is not in the bestest of shape mechanically.
5. We would spend 4 days out of 8 on the road...with kids...did I mention how far it is???

Okay so you see my dilema? I prayed last night for God to give me a clear word on what would be best for our family and a few minutes later I got an awesome devotional on email from Lisa Welchel, Blair from Facts of Life, remember her? It said that when you must make an important decision, take fear out of the equation. Because many times we make decisions based on our fears. And fear is NOT of God, it's of the devil. Am I more afraid my car won't make it to Texas, or am I more afraid my dog will die in a kennel if I leave her? I don't know!

The non-stop flights are filling up quickly and I really must decide something NOW! So if you have any input, I'd love to hear it.

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Absolutely fly! What about flying Candice over too? I mean Rev flies, doesn't she? I say fly with no hesitation because of time saved and your sanity! Buy those tickets!

Anonymous said...

Uh, now I have to disagree with you, Stephanie. DRIVE!

1- Rent a Car
2- Stop in Mobile and see my new house
3- I will loan you my portable dvd player for the remainder of the trip
4- My mom and dad miss you guys and the girls so much that if they even thought that there was an option they would cry.
5- Tell your mom to save the money over what it cost to rent a car to what it would cost to fly you out and put Candice in a kennel and put it towards fixing your car or buying a great used car that is going to be more reliable.
6- Flying can be a pain too!

I may have more reasons to come, but i have to go back to your blog to make sure. :)

Rhonda- the sister in law. :)

Anonymous said...

By the way, I love Lisa Whelchel. The company I worked for has printed a couple of the books that she has released. Particularly "Taking care of the me in Mommy"... that was my summer read! Now, if I could just implement more of her suggestions. :)


DRIVE so that I can see you guys. I miss you!

Rhonda- the sis in law

Anonymous said...

FLY. That's all I have to say. You would have lots more time to visit and not just be driving.
rachel

Anonymous said...

I think you should fly. That is a long time for those little girls in the car and traffic is really bad during the holidays (You know how I worry about you guys traveling so far). Candice will be fine. Visit some of the local kennels and find one that is more than a cage. Look in the yellow pages and see what is available. Trust God to take care of her.

But any decision you make I will support it. If you want to rent a car, we can do that as well.
Mom

A Perfect Pandemonium said...

Ok, your mom is telling you to fly and she's the one paying for it! Obviously she's not thinking it's a money issue! I think that's God giving you your answer!!

Flying is MUCH faster and it's only a few HOURS with the kids in a small space rather than DAYS in a small space. I'm driving to Houston for Thanksgiving and it's only a 6 hour drive and I'm dreading it!

Oh, and your DVD player doesn't work...if you drive you're crazy! I can't imagine driving without a DVD player these days! I might sound like a snob, but I don't do long distance driving without a DVD player to entertain.

Becky said...

Okay girl, I will be honest - I don't know which to do. I would be in the same boat as you. Flying is quicker but around holiday season it is a MAD house!! Driving is much your own pace but it is forever long. I will admit that if you decide to drive I will gladly mail you my portable DVD player so that way you would have one DVD player for Ashton and one for Lexi (if you borrow Rhonda's too). Can't wait to hear what you decide!

mom2iande said...

i actually love road trips with our kids...1,000 miles to South Carolina in the car is not too bad. We always make it to about Anniston, Alabama (pretty state) and then do the next day to SC. I almost prefer that to flying except to Disney.

Renting a car would be good maybe!

AdventurerMom said...

i hates road trips and i figure plane trips are the same...only no pit stoppables...
http://talesfromthecryb.blogspot.com/2007/07/five-stages-of-road-trip.html
yeah...and that was just the hour and a half to college station...
hopes you guys have a safe pleasant trip either ways and enjoys your footballs!

Anonymous said...

Fly..fly..fly...maybe someone can house sit for you and take care of your dog :)

Anonymous said...

What a hot topic! I think you need to do whatever you feel best about. Don't mind what I said, that was just me being selfish. :)

I love you guys and hope you have a wonderful turkey day. Gobble Gobble.

Love!

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

What a hot topic! I think you need to do whatever you feel best about. Don't mind what I said, that was just me being selfish. :)

I love you guys and hope you have a wonderful turkey day. Gobble Gobble.

Love!

Rhonda