Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Got Milk?

I'm doin' a happy dance y'all. My computer is fixed...can I get a GLORY? My internet is working again and all is well in my universe, at least until the Aggies play again on Saturday.

But now I'd like to tackle a more serious topic. Have any of you ever done any research on the hormones in some types of cow milk? Now before you call me a "tree hugger" or a "hippy chick" let me just explain I'm anything BUT a health nut. Obviously! You can look at me and tell that! And I've always made fun of people who buy organic products and thought, "What a waste of money!" But because of a series of events with my own hormone issues and some conversations with other women having severe hormonal complications, it's raised the question in my mind of what we're putting into our bodies and how it could very well be the cause of our hormone issues. I drink a lot of milk, as do my kids. And we eat a lot of cheese. I do know for a fact that most non-organic milk came from cows injected with hormones that make them produce more milk. These cows, if not injected with hormones can live about 17 years. But if treated with the hormones, usually only live about 2 years. Many of them get severe mastitis (sp?) and are then injected with, you guessed it, antibiotics. And I'm sure you know the danger in that. Too many antibiotics leads to stronger strands of bacteria, more resistant strands. It's a crazy cycle! These type s of hormones have been used for about the last 10-15 years. But I have heard that the cause of children, especially girls, going through puberty much earlier than 20 years ago is due to the increase of hormones used in animal products. And with my own hormone issues in the past year, it really makes me wonder if it's being caused by these same hormones. Of course the doctor just says, "Go on the pill, it will regulate everything." But that's not a cure to me. I want to know WHY it's happening and I want a healthier fix than putting that toxic pill in my body every day.

So I've decided to do a little experiment of my own and buy "hormone free" milk, which may end up being organic or actually some regular milks say "hormone free" on their packaging. You just have to investigate a little. And I'm going to buy organic cheese as well. And I know it could take a few months to see a difference in my hormone issues, but I'm going to give it a 3 month trial period. I don't understand why there's not more government regulation of this problem since it seems as though so many are being affected.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this issue?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have heard that....we probably should think about it more. there is more precocious puberty with young girls and i have head that it is related to the hormones.

Anonymous said...

that we me....mom2iande...that just put the post about the precocious puberty.

Stephanie said...

I forgot about that. There is a friend at work whose niece had this happen to her. After years and years of let's just say abnormal puberty issues, they discovered it was the hormones in the milk she was drinking. I want to say that Borden does not use this hormone so before your start spending $6.00 gallon on milk, look into it. I even saw a sign at a fast food restaurant once that said their milk was hormone free. Thanks Heather, keep us posted!

Mel :-) said...

I have been concerned about this as well and for a period of time I bought soy milk for my Girls (the flavored kind is actually pretty good)then I just got lax about it. I am glad to hear that Borden doesn't use hormones, I will start getting that! Keep us posted on how the switch goes for you! :-)

AdventurerMom said...

yay! happy dance for the fized puters!
oh, and we drinks borden cause of that hormones stuff!

Anonymous said...

I buy Borden's because of this. Although, my kids don't drink a whole lot of milk. I don't drink any. It's definitely more $$$.
Rachel

mom2iande said...

i just realized ian is allergic to milk and soy, so it may not be too much of a problem for us. it constipated elise, so she doesn't drink much either.

it still is a concern with the hormones. we get our eggs from a nurse at work that lives on a farm. they are very yellow and fluffy. i made her a little paper sack doggy crapbook for each daughter in exchange for all the dozens of hormone-free eggs she gives me.

Anonymous said...

You must talk to Greta about this. She is a research nut (as are you!) and she has searched this one out. Did you know she actually buys unpasturized milk from a dairy farmer. She knows all the benefits and can get you lots of good info. I am considering doing it too, but it can be quite expensive.
Audra