Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Make New Friends...But Keep the Old

Do you remember that song, "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other's gold." I learned that song when I was 9 years old in girl scouts, or I guess I should say Brownies, not girl scouts. This move has been much harder on me than on Cary because I am very dependent on friends. I love having friends, lots of them, and I especially love having that one special friend that I hang out with the most. I knew when I came here that it would take time to develop those types of friendships. But what has broken my heart the most is to watch Lexi long for the type of friends she had back in Texas. She had so many wonderful little girl friends that we saw almost daily. And ever since we've been here, I've prayed, "Lord please send Lexi a friend, a good friend, a sweet little girlfriend, her age." And FINALLY...can you hear the Hallelujah chorus playing in the background? Finally, Lexi has made a sweet friend that she adores. Her name is Caroline. She's also four years old and she goes to our church, but she's also in Lexi's class at school, so they see each other often. Last Wedneday Lexi went home from school with her, and today she came home with Lexi. Her mommy and I have decided to make it a Wednesday tradition and take turns being the host. Her parents, Mike and Jenny, are homebased missionaries through Wycliffe Bible Translator School. They are a sweet family. And I'm singing the Lord's praises right now because He has provided Lexi with such a wonderful new friend. Of course no one will ever replace her friends back home. We miss you guys!!!! "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other's gold."

2 comments:

Jess Marie said...

Praise God! Ally and Caroline were GREAT friends before we left. It was soooo sad to leave her. I'm glad your two girls can be best buds. :) God is sooo good!

mom2iande said...

That is very good....I think we like to watch our kids play with other kids and make friends...especially a really good friend.