Friday, August 10, 2007

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Yes, my friends, college football season is less than a month away. Can I hear a "Glory" ? No, for once this post is not about my beloved Aggies, and before you click the "back" button on your toolbar just please allow me to tell you what college football season is like in MY house. I really do think you may just want in on this little secret girls! It could just rock your world! Okay so our home is not typical in the sense that I am the one that ordered satellite t.v. at this house a week before we moved in just to make sure we would be able to watch all the bowl games when we arrived New Year's Day. Not Cary, he didn't call Direct TV...that would be ME! It is I who tell HIM what channel ESPN is on, and ESPN 2, and ESPN Classic, and FOX Sports, and so on and so on. For the last 2 years, in early August, a little somethin' somethin' has arrived in our mailbox addressed to ME, not my husband, called "The Football Playbook" put out by "BET US.com". In female translation, this is a book that men use to get stats on the teams so they can make an educated BET on the gambling circuit. Now, I'm not quite sure how I got on this mailing list, I mean I do like to rock the Baptist boat every now and then, but I'm NOT a gambler. No way Jose! I'm way too frugal to ever gamble! I am a woman who wouldn't buy a pumpkin for my children for Halloween because that was $3 that could be spent on FOOD! So a gambler, I am not! But nonetheless, Cary and I have our own college football bets and wagers that we place amongst ourselves. YOU, too, can be nuts like us and join in on the fun! I mean, if you can't beat it, join it! College football is not going away ladies, so you may as well make the season fun! Here's how it works, every week I go to ESPN.com and print out all the college games that week, then I use my better's guide PLUS all that I learn from watching ESPN and listening to those idiot men on Sportstalk radio and THEN, most importantly, I use my women's intuition to make all my weekly picks. Then Cary does the same thing (well without the intuition thing). And we always place a little wager of some sort like the person who gets more picks correct gets a day off from the kids, or a 30 minute massage, or gets their favorite meal prepared for them, or whatever suits our fancy that week. Then on Saturday night, we watch for all the scores or we go to ESPN.com and tally up all our picks to see who got more correct. Inevitably, it always seems to come down to one or two games, like the last 2 games of the day, and so it does get somewhat intense. Like especially if me winning, thus getting a child free day off, depends on whether or not the 18 yr old kid on t.v. can kick a field goal in overtime at MIDNIGHT, now that's intense! But I am usually victorious because I am, after all, WOMAN...HEAR ME ROAR! So ladies, in less than 30 days, the madness will begin. And I will be MORE than happy to post my picks on the blog each week and you can all woo your husbands into playing this crazy betting game with you. And they'll be ever so impressed that YOU EVEN CARE about the game. And they will probably forbid you from reading my blog when you start KICKING THEIR BUTTS with your picks. It really is fun! Are you in???

1 comment:

Becky said...

Your wager thing sounds fun! I think that is great! My husband plays fantasy football with the NFL so about this time he gets all pumped up too. I watch more football and basketball since we got married than I did before. Maybe I should take you up on your wager/bet thing! Wonder what wonderful prizes I can think of? :)