Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"You know who I love Mommy?"

This is a conversation Lexi and I had in the car yesterday.

Music was playing on the radio, one of those sappy, mushy "Casting Crowns" songs that make you wish you had a box of Kleenex in your console.

Lexi: "You know who I love Mommy?"

Me: "Who's that baby?" (bracing myself for an answer like, Granny, Daddy, The Doodlebops, Elmo, her imaginary friend Kalli, you know anybody except for MOMMY.)

Lexi: "Jesus."

Me: (quickly trying to swallow the lump in my throat and hold back the tears) "Ahh, sweety, that's the best thing you could have ever said. Jesus loves you too, and that makes Him so happy to hear you say that."

Lexi: "So Jesus is happy now? Good, maybe it won't rain!"



Lexi Lou: I am so proud of you. God's love truly reflects through you. You're always singing your own praise songs to "Jesthus", making them up as you go along. Your songs are so precious to Him, I know. You seem to know even before we read the book to you which ones are about God, and those are the ones you want to sleep with, eat with, and carry around with you all day. I remember when MiMi and Dada G gave you the tiny little pink Bible and you were so proud of it. You carried it with you everywhere for at least a month. We've talked about having Jesus in our hearts before and the other day, you asked me, "Mommy, does Jesus eat?" I said, "Well, honey, I don't know. I mean He's God, so I guess He can eat if He wants to, but He doesn't need to eat." "I think He eats." "Okay, why's that?" "Because when I eat, the food goes down past my heart to get to my tummy. And since Jesus is in my heart, I guess He eats what I eat. I hope he likes apples. Mommy, do you think He likes apples?" "Yes, baby, I'm QUITE sure He likes apples."

I love you Lexi Lou!!! You are truly God's blessing to us. I can't wait to see what He has in store for your life. It is such a privilege to be your mommy!

4 comments:

Becky said...

WAY TO GO LEXI! How cute!! I think I would have bawled right then and there. Kids surprise us all the time and teach us the most valuable lessons at the same time. I know there is a VERY proud Mama on the other side of this blog.

AdventurerMom said...

lexi is so smart!!! i hope i can be that good when i'm biggerfied. right now i'm plenty smart except for the whole talking thing...we haven't got past love god, play with blocks at my church yet.

Anonymous said...

Precious! Isn't it just amazing how faithful little children are even though Jesus is something/someone they can not see or touch in person? And the fact that these statements come out of their heads and hearts, not from a conversation we started.

mom2iande said...

that is very cute and full of life....very cute!