Friday, September 26, 2008

The fat cat sat on the mat.

Time for me to toot my horn. Or actually I guess I'm tooting Lexi's horn. Or maybe I'm tooting Ms. Ferreri's horn, Lexi's awesome teacher. My child, who started kindergarten a little over a month ago, who didn't know all of her letters and sounds when she started IS READING! Okay, so she's reading sentences like this, "The fat cat sat on the mat." But she's reading! I am so amazed at how far she's come in such a short amount of time. Of course we spend about 45 minutes a night doing homework with her and reviewing what Ms. Ferreri has taught her, so I guess this reading thing is kind of a "group effort". She also read this sentence, "I love my fat cat." She now knows about 20 site words, she knows her number words up to five, she knows all her color words, and she knows all the "at" words like cat, bat, fat, pat, mat, etc. And she now knows all of her letters by recognition, upper and lower case, and the sounds they make and can recognize her numbers up to 13. I am just blown away. She's going to be reading novels by Christmas break! Last week, they had humpty dumpty day which I heard was just a hoot. I sent a hard boiled egg with her to school and they did all sorts of fun things with their eggs. She memorized a gazillion nursery rhymes last week too in preparation for humpty dumpty day. Today was Johnny Appleseed Day. They were MAKING APPLESAUCE! How cute and fun is that? I just love her school and her teacher so much. She is making wonderful memories and learning so much! We're very very thankful for Mrs. Ferreri!!!! She rocks!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Way to go Lexi (and Mom). Yes, I just love the things I see our KG teachers do with the kids. I can't wait for my kids to start public KG next year, those activities are awesome!

Rhonda C said...

Yay, Lexi! Smart just like her momma!

circus of love said...

Soooo fun! Kindergarten teachers are AMAZING!!!

Stef Layton said...

how fun! I still want to make my own applesauce, I'll have to ask Lexi for some help! Sounds like the same book my son is reading - cause there was a fat cat Nat sat on a mat and a fat rat Pat! haha!