Friday, September 5, 2008

Ashton

Ashton rarely gets blog coverage. I guess because big sister Lexi is sort of an attention hog and Ashton doesn't really talk much, or I should say, she talks a lot, we just don't quite understand what she's saying. But her lack of blog coverage certainly is not due to a lack of personality. Quite the contrary! Little girl. BIG personality. Since starting school, Ashton has shown us a different side of her that we really didn't know existed. THE GIRL LOVES TO SLEEP IN! A girl after my own heart! She's a very slow riser. I guess we never knew this because our schedule has never been as rigid as it is now with the girls being in school. Every day, our morning routine goes like this:

6:30 a.m. or earlier...Lexi wakes up and appears on top of us in the bed demanding breakfast.

7:15 a.m. (latest possible time they should be getting up in order for us to get out the door on time)...We walk into their room and wake Ashton up by picking her up and carrying her to the breakfast table to eat.

7:16 a.m. Ashton runs back to her room and gets back in bed and hides under the covers.

7:17 a.m....We walk back into their room and pick Ashton up again and try to get her to eat.

7:18 a.m....Ashton runs back to her room and gets back in bed and hides under the covers.

7:19 a.m....forget breakfast! We carry her to the tub for her bath.

7:20 a.m....meltdown on bathroom floor

7:21 a.m....We finally get Ashton in the tub, but she nods off until we start pouring water over her head to wash her hair. And she LOVES that part. NOT!

7:30 a.m....Bath over, Ashton begs to be wrapped up in the towel and carried like a baby to the bed to get dressed and says, "I'm coooold, I'm cooold" a hundred times or more. EVERY DAY.

7:45 a.m....Ashton has another meltdown over getting her hair dried. She does not like AIR BLOWING ON HER HEAD, cold or hot. DO NOT BLOW AIR ON MY HEAD is what I think she must be saying. I have to physically restrain her to blow dry her hair. (and to brush her teeth) EVERY DAY!

7:55 a.m....After getting dressed, she decides that maybe she would like to eat her breakfast after all. Great. Who needs clean clothes.

8:15 a.m....Out the door and off to school and work for everyone.

8:45 a.m. ASHTON FALLS ASLEEP IN THE CAR ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL EVERY STINKIN DAY!

9:00 a.m....I wake Ashton up and hand her off to her teacher. Good luck to Ms. Michelle!

On Thursday, Ashton didn't have school, so I stayed home with her and she kept pulling me to my bed and wanting me to lay down with her and cuddle. So after twisting my arm hard enough (right) we laid down to watch some Noggin. I looked over 5 min later and she was sound asleep. 9:30 a.m.!

Now I know what you're thinking...DUH, Heather, she's not getting enough sleep. If only it were that simple. Yes, I agree. However, I put her to bed at 8:00 p.m., sometimes earlier, and it takes her FOREVER to fall asleep. Sometimes she'll be awake for hours trying to go to sleep. Most days, she doesn't get a nap, because when she does it takes till midnight or later to get her to go sleep. But even when she doesn't get a nap, getting her to fall asleep takes FOREVER, which is why she doesn't want to get up in the mornings. The only thing I can figure out is that her brain is wired like mine. I'm the same exact way. I go to bed late, and want to sleep late. I'm a night owl by nature. Even when I only have had 4 hrs sleep, I can't wind my brain down until after midnight....like right now for example! Even after all those years of going to bed early, getting up early you'd think my body would have gotten conditioned to it. But I'm just not wired that way. I think it's very clear, Ashton has my brain. Lucky girl.

3 comments:

Stef Layton said...

I don't know anything about those morning fits!

I have been known to say to my hubby, "WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME? IT'S TOO EARLY, STOP TALKING TO ME"!

My boys don't sleep past 8am - week day, weekend, holiday - doesn't matter 8am and everyone is up. :< I'd like to sleep past 8am one Saturday!

Heather said...

She sounds EXACTLY like my middle daughter. She will be 5 on Wed. and it is like pulling teeth to get her to go to sleep and even harder to wake her in the morning.

Unfortunately I don't have any words of wisdom or advice for you because I still haven't figured out how in the world to get her to sleep at night.

Oh well, I suppose everyone has their own internal clock. I have visions of fighting with her to get out of bed when she is a teenager. Oh well, at least now I can still pick her up to wake her. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Funny - our little sister does the same thing!!!! We call her our party animal....when she was a baby, she had a shirt that read, "Party, my crib 2 am!" It couldn't be more true!

All I can think is they take naps at school (thank goodness). Ours doesn't want to go to bed at night and then doesn't want to wake up! Glad to know she isn't the only one!!!!!!