Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Guns Up...

In Texas, "Guns Up", is a Texas Tech thing. No, I haven't suddenly become a Texas Tech Red Raider fan or anything crazy like that, HOWEVER, we did attend a dinner show this weekend at Arabian Knights with a Texas Tech Red Raider graduate. And apparently Lexi was feelin' the Red Raider spirit cause the girl wanted a GUN! Our veternarian, who also happens to attend our church and is a Texas Tech grad, invited us to this charity event that her vet office was helping to sponsor. The show was a tribute to the Wild West. Lexi won some tickets playing games and guess what she wanted to "buy" with her tickets....A GUN! Not a princess crown, or a sheriff's badge, or a cute keychain, or a stuffed animal. Girlfriend wanted a gun! I see no harm in toy guns (GASP! I know!) I had a few cap guns myself as a young girl and I'm not like overly agressive or a husband beater or anything crazy like that. (Well, I'm crazy, crazy enough that my husband would probably never buy me a gun!) When we got home, Lexi threw a cryin' fit because she didn't have any cowgirl boots to go with her gun. Not sure why guns and boots go together but apparently they're like peas and carrots. So Granny left her some money to go buy some boots, which we did yesterday. She wore them to school today, which I kind of knew might result in a little teasing cause you know, it's Florida, not Texas, but teasing is after all, CHARACTER BUILDING in my opinion, so I let her wear her boots and she was darn cute. When I picked her up from school she said she did get teased and they said she looked like a boy! But she said, "I think they're just jealous Mommy! Can I wear them again tomorrow?" That's my girl! Cowgirl with an attitude!




Before the show...Princess Lexi
After the show...
Well, does this picture really need a caption?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is funny! Yeehaw, Cowgirl, Lexi! I love the "Western Chief" brand we found at Cavendars. They are like rain boots and $20....and there is other stuff that goes with them you can get (backpacks, umbrellas, raincoats).

Stephanie said...

I saw that title and immediately thought, "What is Heather thinking?" I knew what the 'Guns Up' was referring to.
Ya know, Lauren has been playing with Aidan a lot lately and wanting to play guns at home. I've been wondering what would be appropriate so I'm glad you addressed that here. I don't mind if she wants to be a cowgirl...or maybe a policewoman. Lexi needs to be a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader!

Anonymous said...

Love the hat and horse. That's my girl!!!! She has a mind of her own and I applaud her. You know you were just like her growing up, you never cared what others thought or what they did you did what fit your fancy. That is what makes my GIRLS all special. Love all of you!

Mom